Saturday, April 11, 2009

I have been so cruel to you and you were so kind

Lenten Devotional- Day 40


God’s Word: But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.” (Romans 5:8-10)

Story: We had practiced long and hard for this Annual Easter Musical. Over 200 people were involved in the production. More than a thousand would be coming to each of the four presentations. Orchestra, choir, actors and soloists were involved. A cross stood to the side of the stage. At the final rehearsal, a movie critic and a journalist both said they would score us 9.5 out of 10. However, we did not know that this musical would have a profound effect on one of the main characters in the presentation.

Jay, an amateur actor and a bit arrogant, was asked to be the Roman Centurion who would flog Jesus. Of course, he did not mind. He loved acting. He bragged to friends that he would do a good job beating Jesus. The first presentation went well for Jay. He could distance himself from Jesus on the cross. That night, however, he could not sleep. Memories of the flogging he delivered rushed through his dreams.

The next presentation was not easy for Jay to handle. It was hard to beat a man like Jesus in front of thousands of people. Guilt overcame him. The third presentation was more difficult yet. The audience, still thinking he was a professional actor, were shaken as he whipped Jesus. This time, however, as the blood dripped down from the cross, he suddenly realized that this blood was shed for him. Jay realized that this Jesus was dying on the cross for all the cruel acts he was doing. And Jesus was doing it out of love for His people. As He heard Jesus cry, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" Jay almost broke down in front of the audience. It was hard for him to contain himself and after the drama, he collapsed in anguish.

As Jesus was dragged by his fellow soldiers, the audience detected Jay's voice crackle as he yelled, "Crucify him, hang the man!" He dabbed a tear from his eye. "Jesus" cried out, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" Then, "It is finished!" The lights cut, the roll of thunder could be heard and it grew very still. All could hear the sobs of the disciples and Mary, kneeling by the cross. Jay, too, was quietly crying out, "Jesus, you did this for me? You died on this old cross so I can have new life? I have been so cruel to you and you were so kind. The blood on my hands was a sacrifice for ME! I'm sorry for what I've done. Forgive me, please! I give you my heart and life. I am finished with my own struggles. I want you as my Savior and Lord!"

It was like the lights went back on for Jay. He could scarcely believe it. He felt like a new man! God had heard his prayer. He had come to know Jesus, at the foot of the cross, in front of a 1,000 people or more. Jesus' blood was meant for him. He wiped another tear and felt joy come over him. As the choir sang the last selection, "I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb" by Ray Boltz, he knew he had to go tell the pastor, friends and family.- Shared by George Prins

Pray: Today in prayer, give thanks to God for His love and grace which changed your life. Give thanks also for forty days of journey with Jesus by readings of the word of God, prayer and meditation along with other devotional readers.

No comments: