Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lent Season Daily Devotional (Day Thirty One)

Pastor Latt

Via Dolorosa – Fifth Station – Here the Cyrenaean helps Jesus carry the cross

FACT: Jesus even experiences our struggle to receive help. He is made to experience the poverty of not being able to carry his burden alone. He enters into the experience of all who must depend upon others to survive. He is deprived of the satisfaction of carrying this burden on his own.

GOD’S WORD: “As they led Jesus away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way in from the country, and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus.” (Luke 23: 26)
“No servant is greater than his master. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.” (John 15: 20)

INSPIRATION: David Brainerd, the famous missionary to the American Indians, proclaimed this truth throughout his ministry. He said, “I never got away from Jesus and Him crucified in my preaching. I found that once these people were gripped by the great evangelical meaning of Christ’s sacrifice on our behalf, I did not have to give them many instructions about changing their behavior.”

When Charles Spurgeon lay on his deathbed, he testified to a friend, “My theology now is found in four little words: “JESUS died for ME.” I don’t say this is all I would preach if I were to be raised up again, but it is more than enough for me to die upon.”

MEDITATION: I look into his face and contemplate his struggle. His weariness and fragility. His impotence. I see how he looks at Simon, with utmost humility and gratitude. This is for me. So I feel anguish and gratitude. I express my thanks that he can continue this journey. That he has help. That he knows my inability to carry my burden alone. I say what is in my heart, with deep feeling.

PRAYER: Dear Lord, Help us not to ignore your suffering. Help us not to be audience of the arena of the spiritual battlefields. Help us to face the spiritual war with faith as you had shown us on the way of cross. In your mighty Name. Amen.

No comments: